Get a head start on getting your home ready for the market! The realtor you work with will likely advise you to do all of the things on this list (and more), but if you’re thinking about selling, this is blog is an excellent place to start to see what labor, time, and money you will need to invest in before potential buyers walk through the door.
1. Purge: Selling your home successfully will ultimately mean you need to purge some of your belongings. You might want to consider renting a storage unit to keep all your items in while you’re temporarily staging your home. Consider this “pre-move packing” to make things easier on you!
2. Declutter: First, you’ll want to declutter your home by reorganizing closets and shelves. This is a good time to discard any junk you don’t need.
3. Depersonalize: Depersonalizing your home means you should remove toys, photo albums, bulletin boards, etc. You want to make sure your home feels warm and welcoming, but you don’t want a bunch of knick-knacks hanging around. Personal items can be distracting, so instead, you’ll want to present buyers with a clean slate so perhaps they can imagine their own photos hanging in the house.
4. Deep Clean: After purging, reorganizing and decluttering, you’ll want to give your house a deep cleanse. Either you can do this yourself, or you can hire a professional to get in all those nooks and crannies!
5. Handy Work: Now would be the time to call a handy-man to fix locks, hardware, faucets, cracks in the walls, broken appliances, squeaky doors, etc. If you don’t take the time to hire a handy-man to fix these minor problems, your potential buyers might think the house hasn’t been well taken care of, which can turn them away.
6. Paint: A fresh coat of paint goes a LONG way. Choose neutral, light colors as this will make your home appear bigger and brighter.
7. Yard Work: First impressions are EVERYTHING. What’s the first thing that your buyers will see? The outside, of course! Make sure the exterior of your house looks just as good as the inside—paint the front door, add pots of flowers and shrubs, mow the lawn, fix cracks in the walkways, etc. All these minor repairs and attention to detail goes a long way!
Sell Your Home Virtually GUARANTEED or We’ll Buy It!* No Need to Leave the House, No Showings, Everything done 100% Virtually. Call at 703-297-4251. To learn more CLICK HERE.